10 things you should know about your teacher (or your kid’s teacher)
School is in session. Best wishes to all of you intertwined with the education system, whether student, parent, teacher, or staff! Here’s a quick list of 10 things you should know if your teacher is anything like me or the people I have taught with.
1. They think you rock! They have been excited to meet you!
2. They may actually enjoy going on tangents as much as you do. School is very much academics, but it is also full of life lessons and relationships.
3. They partner with your parent(s) and guardian(s), so they will share how wonderfully you shine and may have to share when you miss the mark.
4. They want you to have your own pencil. Everyday.
5. They think learning and sharing is fun, so don’t ask if the class will have any fun today, the answer will always be YES!
6. They are just human, they make mistakes just like you do.
7. They do want to hear about your weekend, your dog, your fears, and what makes you happy, so just pay attention to when it is okay to share those things. They also want to know if you ever feel bullied, lonely, or lost because although they think all their students are cool, they will take extra time to encourage you if they know you are hurting!
8. They call you Mr. Matthews not because they forgot your first name was Jordan, but because it is how they chose to show you respect. They may have other ways of showing you respect too, see if you can figure it out.
9. They consider your smile, your questions, and your willingness to help your classmates as some of the best parts of their day. Keep it up!
10. They think you ROCK! They look forward to seeing you in class!